Wednesday, November 16, 2005

HAIKU RAINS


Let us dive into a special kind of rain this time. Enjoy some rain poems from my collection of Haiku, one of the most important modes of Japanese poetry. The painting seen above is a Haiga, means Haiku painting, by Zolo. Zolo is very famous for his Haiga as well as Haiku. You can find some of his beautiful Haiga at www.worldpath.net/~jpandsk/ . Well, let the rain comes. Have a nice time.

>>Matsuo Basho

>Spring rain

leaking through the roof

dripping from the wasps' nest

>From now on
a nameless traveller;
winter's first rain.

>>Shiki Masaoka
Night; and once again,

the while I wait for you,
cold wind
turns into rain.

>>Soen Nakagawa
>Sound of mountain
sound of ocean
everywhere spring rain.

>Soft spring rain-
since when
have I been called a monk?

>>Vic Johnson
The clouds bring sadness
Sadness because the sun's gone

Rain filled with sorrow


>>
Richard Lawrence Cohen
>Rain on my windshield.

What a small thing a life is:

pages, photos, tears.


>Picking up the kids
early on a rainy day

is all we can do.


>Halloween downpour:
Costumes under umbrellas.

“I’m scared of thunder.”

>>Daniel Trent
>up to my wrists

in the washing up bowl -

watching the rain


>a sliver of moon
rain on the dormer window -

summer evening


>rain speckles
the dusty window -

mid-summer


>>Morten Paulsen
An island song

Like a floating river

Rain Rain Fall Fall


>>Jack Kerouac
>After the shower

among the drenched roses

the bird thrashing in the bath.


>Snap your finger

stop the world -

rain falls harder.


>>Ed Brown

A gentle rain settles the dust.
A cool refreshing breeze cleans the air.
Breath absorbed breath.
The ancient sand castles are nowhere to be found.

4 comments:

Richard Lawrence Cohen said...

Tom, I'm deeply honored to be included in this group. Thank you. Among the modern ones I especially like Trent's "up to my wrists" and Paulsen's "An Island Song." And Kerouac of course.

Best wishes to my first reader (I think) from Kerala! A most interesting place, from what I've read.

ajaykumar said...

hi tom,
your blog is a nice place. very interesting. thanks for the haiku. expect more of this sort in coming days.
best wishes

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Had a wonderful time at your blog. Thank
you. I would like to invite you to my blog
"life and buddhism" at
http://e-buddhism.blogspot.com
We seem to share a love for Haiku.

You may like to check the Haiku links
and if you are interested also the Buddhism links.

With warm regards

Gautam ( Sengupta)

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Sorry mistyped the URL for my blog
it is

http://e-buddhism.blogspot.com